Last week we learned of two horrible fires in Augusta and Orrington. The first fire reported took the lives of four people and the second left a man critically injured. Investigators believe both fires could have been prevented. With Old Man Winter creeping in and our temperatures dropping, it is important to remember some basic steps so you and your loved ones can avoid such destruction.
- Have your chimney and wood stove cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney specialist once a year.
- Be sure to clear the hearth of all flammable items. Cardboard, holiday decorations, area rugs etc.
- Do not use flammable liquids when starting a fire.
- Do not burn cardboard boxes or trash in your woodstove.
- Build small fires that will burn out completely. It will produce less smoke.
- Use only seasoned hard woods to avoid excessive creosote buildup.
- Be sure to have working smoke detectors as well as carbon monoxide detectors on all levels of your home.
It is also a great idea to have an evacuation plan set in place that you and your family have practiced. You can always contact your local fire department with any questions or concerns you have. Here at Cheney Insurance, we want you to be warm and safe this winter.