Personal liability insurance protects you anywhere, anytime. Also referred to as an umbrella policy, personal liability insurance can be part of a solid homeowner’s policy, or a separate stand-alone policy. While the majority of us will make through life without major mishaps, there are time when accidents happen, injuries may occur, and you may be found at fault. Should you ever find yourself facing a lawsuit, personal liability coverage can make a trying time a little less trying.
Here are a few examples of when you will need personal liability protection in the event of a lawsuit.
- Your son is pitching in the little league championships when he accidentally hits the batter in the face causing loss of sight.
- A neighbor’s child is swinging on the swing set in your backyard without permission. The swing breaks and the child is injured.
- While ice skating you collide with another resulting in his or her broken arm.
- You’re babysitting your friend’s child and the child is hurt.
- You send an angry tweet, resulting in someone’s damaged reputation or loss of employment.
This type of coverage is so comprehensive in that it not only covers a law suit, but will cover the cost of defending yourself and it covers most of your personal liability worldwide. You never know where a lawsuit will come from and just because you can see the other party is clearly at fault, doesn’t mean you won’t need protection. While most policies will have the initial $100,000 of coverage at no extra cost, be sure to look at the all of you options and choose the right coverage for your situation.