As temperatures continue to drop, my skin becomes thirstier. I use lotion from head to toe every day. Luckily, I don’t have sensitive skin, but I do have dry skin. Trying to find lotion that is both inexpensive and long lasting has always been rather difficult. After reading about the benefits of using coconut oil, and learning how versatile it is; I figured I could make my own lotion at home using coconut oil as my base.
I began researching my options online, I found that I really only needed one ingredient, coconut oil. Coconut oil can be found refined and unrefined. I use refined when cooking, as it doesn’t have the coconut fragrance. For my lotion I chose unrefined because it does have a slight coconut fragrance. I opted to add lavender oil, vitamin E oil as well as tea tree oil. These oils have loads of beneficial properties and I thought the
end fragrance would be quite pleasant and calming.
Ingredients I used:
- 2 Cups of Coconut Oil.
- 2 teaspoons of Vitamin E Oil (optional)
- A few drops each of Lavender Oil and Tea Tree Oil. (optional)
- Put all ingredients into your mixing bowl (coconut oil doesn’t need to be melted)
- Mix on high speed with a wire whisk for 10 to 12 minutes or until your mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Spoon the mixture into small jars and seal immediately. You can store the jars at room temperature.
I used a standard Kitchen-Aid Mixer, but a hand mixer will work as well as a blender. All together I spent just under $50 for the ingredients and I made just about 16 ounces of lotion. Just a little bit goes a really long way. Because I can use the lotion for both my face and body, I will see a huge savings. The best part is I know exactly what is in the lotion! Next, I may try soap!